Sunday 17 February 2013

Pandora's Briefcase: Insert Some Pun Related To Item-In-Question HERE.

The Pandorica opens once more!

I still remember the excitement when my sister brought home the first computer to live in our house. It was an Amstrad 464 with colour monitor and built-in tape-drive. What's more, my sister also bought a disk-drive peripheral! We were living in the future, and it would not be long before we would all have our own rocket-packs, and robots would be doing my homework for me...

*sigh*

I know not where that thing-of-beauty that created many an hour of "Elite" space-sim adventure now resides. I do, however, still retain a reminder of this once-mighty machine:








No, that's not a 3.5" disk. It's a 3" disk, a one of a number of 3" formats that only had brief momentum before being swept away by Sony's 3.5" format.

4 comments:

  1. * Sigh * indeed.

    140kB capacity (or thereabouts), and I once had the Amstrad running for three days producing and saving an image of part of the Mandelbrot set. Those were the days.

    Oh, and now I have the Blue Danube waltz going through my head.

    * Double sigh *

    I wonder if there's an iPhone version of Elite ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an android version... :)
      You might find this interesting though: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

      Delete
    2. I did, indeed. (I went looking after posting my original comment. If there's one thing I need less than having Blue Danube going through my head as I reminisce about docking my ship it's getting distracted looking for more distractions!)

      Delete
  2. I used to love waiting ages for the screeching blips and squawks of the tape player to load something - those were the days - the days of not 4G but of 0.0000000036G :)

    ReplyDelete