Tuesday 21 September 2010

Hell, That's a Dam Fine Piece of Engineering!

Back when I was thirteen I, with 20,000 others, marched through the streets of Hobart chanting "No Dams" in what was then Australia's largest ever environmental rally, protesting against the construction of the Franklin Dam. Due to my upbringing I have developed a great love for Tasmania's wild bush... and yet somewhere deep inside me, I think I have Engineer blood in me...











On an overcast, showery day in Sheffield last week we decided on a whim to visit the Devil's Gate Dam. Just as we arrived in the car park the rain stopped and the sun broke through. We couldn't have planned it better; as we walked down to the viewing platform the sound of rushing water became louder and louder. And then the dam came into view- in spill with massive volumes of water plummeting eighty-four meters and the only-recently-revealed sun at just the right angle to produce swirling multiple rainbows in the spray.


It was an absolute wonder to behold, and took my breath away!  I love the rainforests and the bush, but when I stand near something like this, all I can do is go "Wow!"
I have to admit it is moments like these that I question my "Greenie-ness".

It is an amazing feat of engineering, using a non-polluting renewable, free energy source.  I'm certainly not saying we should dam every river in the state, and there are some river systems that should never be touched, but I'm also coming round to thinking (and I'm about to be attacked from all angles here!) that maybe there shouldn't be a knee-jerk "No Dams" reaction every time a new hydro-electric scheme is proposed. Maybe. Or maybe I should get one of those Teen-Vamps to suck the engineering blood out of me.

However, I also think there must be a much more efficient, cost-effective method of harnessing the power that flows through our rivers.  Like this, for example. But you don't get a big, stonking, awe-inspiring dam doing that.

I'm so torn.

Just thinking...




3 comments:

  1. That IS pretty impressive.

    (And, yes, I understand the conflicts. A part of me is not averse to trail bike riding or playing -- dare I confess -- paintball ... not that I've done either.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the resolution. our environment should suppose to be always our first priority for a long everlasting life on earth....................Angel G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Angel, I love the resolution too; it is so everlasting! :)

    ReplyDelete