Sunday 12 September 2010

Pandora's Briefcase: Who is this Shorty anyway?!?

Sorry it has been so long, but a comment on Lee and Dan's Young Guns II Midnight Movie Club podcast prompted me to blow the dust of the ol' briefcase, twirl the tumblers on the combination lock, and extract this little number from its bowels. So to speak.


Some of you may saying, "ahhh, that's just the soundtrack to the movie Get Shorty, on a vinyl thirty-three and a third Double Sided LP!" but alas, you would be wrong. You would be right on the double-sided bit, though... "but a double-sided what?", you may ask!

The bottom left hand corner of the cover is a bit of a give-away:


Yes, a LaserDisc! I won't get too bogged down in the technical specifics (the Wikipedia entry is a pretty good read); the movie runs for 106 minutes and is recorded in CLV format (60 minutes a side) meaning that for the majority of users it required manually flipping the disk over midway through. The disc is quite heavy and is about twice the thickness of a DVD. It is very shiny!


For anyone rich enough to own a decent LaserDisc collection, storage must have been a nightmare! I know I have a centimetre ruler scale on these images, but to really put it into perspective here is the other side of the disc with a DVD on top of it for comparison:


As for the movie? I have no idea - I've never seen it!  This is the first of many items contained in Pandora's Briefcase that have contents that are a mystery, as I have no means of playing them! Sure, I could probably rent the DVD, but to be honest (a) I'm just not a DeVito fan, and (b) I'm even less of a Travolta fan!

I really wish now that I had a copy of Young Guns II on LaserDisc instead!

3 comments:

  1. The very first thought I had was that that was the soundtrack!!

    I can't believe you had to flip the thing midway, I had a DVD I had to do that to, Face-Off (ironically). Actually the Superman DVD came as a flip disc as well. I have enough trouble caring for discs that size let alone an LP sized one with all that surface space to scratch on both sides!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first DVD release of Starship Troopers was a flip disc too, which is why I didn't buy it then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never saw that version, I always assumed the edition I had was the only one of Starship Troopers.

    Potentially of interest considering last week's theme on the COA the Nic Cage film Bringing out the Dead was one of the last two films to be released on the format.

    Also I think you're getting a mention on one of the upcoming (we've already recorded it) Midmoclub podcasts in regards to laserdiscs

    ReplyDelete